Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Family in Need







A few weeks ago I received a call from a lady named Flor who lives in Pastores asking for help to build a home for her family. I have know her for several years as she washed cars by Higher Grounds Coffee House until the city put a ban on it. Flor is married with 3 children. Her husband is a block layer but has not been able to find much work. This week I received a donation from a friend who supports our ministry and I felt that I should use the donation to help Flor. Yesterday I went to visit her home to make sure there truly was a need and as you can see from the pictures their home is not in a very liveable condition. The roof does have the corrugate metal but some of it has holes and it is held down by rocks not nails. The side walls are made of canvas or plastic. She said the home gets very hot in the day and cold at night. The floor is dirt and the family has one bed to share. They have no running water or electricity and lack a pila to be able to wash their dishes and clothes so they use a wheelbarrow. After seeing their living conditions it did not take much more convincing to want to help them. Today I purchased the metal roofing pieces along with some posts and nails. The material will be delivered tomorrow and Flor said they would have the home constructed by Sunday so I plan to visit the family to pray for their humble home. They still have many needs and I ask for your prayers for them.

No comments: